Tuesday 6 December 2016

Ireland: some reflections


I have been to Ireland four times before: to celebrate 10 years of marriage, for a job interview, for a funeral and the Bangor Diocesan Clergy School in 2014.

I went this last weekend as part of the Bangor Diocesan team going to visit our link Diocese of Meath and Kildare.

I spent the weekend with the Rector of Navan. Navan is in the vicinity of the Boyne, where the battle took place. I spent much of the time reflecting on history and particularly what it means to be English in the context of relating to Celtic nations.

Saturday morning saw us in Mullingar listening to the Revd Alastair Graham, who I would long to spend some more time with. I am in awe at present at how he has built and team and transformed the lives of his churches in terms of discipleship and mission. More can be found here: http://www.mullingarunionofparishes.net/

We spent some time in Dublin on Saturday afternoon, and we saw the Long Room in Trinity College, with two of the ancient gospels of Kells that were on display.

Sunday saw me preach, not too badly in the Navan union of parishes and then visit both Christ Church and St Patrick Cathedral's in Dublin. At the latter, I still find the presence of the Royal Standard in its nave confusing and fascinating.

I learnt a lot... and will work out more in this Advent time.

No comments:

Post a Comment