Tuesday 27 December 2016

In search of a home: Watership Down



Written by Richard Adams, who died today (27 December 2016), Watership Down formed a narrative for my childhood. It was read to me at school. I remember being captivated by it. This adventure of a group of rabbits looking for a home led by Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig (Thayli), Dandelion and Blackberry, and assisted by the seagull, Kehaar. It also introduced us to the General, and it was not just rabbit mums who said to their wayward children that the General was going to get you. It was published in 1970, and turned into an animated film in 1978, which was accompanied by the haunting melodies of Art Garfunkel.

The rabbits were in search of a warren because their home had been destroyed. The story resonated with me because my home in Sheffield had similarly been destroyed. Parkwood Springs had been pulled down to build a ski slope, which in reality was never a financial success. As a family we were decanted to Shiregreen, and as a family we had to establish a new home. That is the place where parents died and my sister still lives.

Watership Down was written by a master story teller. The rabbits told each other stories to create a canopy of meaning in which to leave as they journeyed to their new home. Their stories revolved around the prince of rabbits, El-Ahrairah... and the tales of his mischief, adventures and narrow escapes. Their stories also taught them that life without risks is quite empty.

That is what I found exciting... and I began my own quest for meaning... and a home.


No comments:

Post a Comment