Monday 21 November 2016

Visiting Planet Teenager

Not a Planet, but a country

I am a dad to a teenager

I have been on a course provided by CAMHS about parenting. It has been brilliant. I am not sure I am a better parent as a result, but I am a more rounded human being.

different planets

In one of our sessions, I likened my son and I to being on different planets. There is an element of truth to this. Teenagers and their parents are sometimes different species. I am not sure I thought my parents understood me. Indeed, I doubt I actually gave it that much thought. The planet idea is quite humorous, but it does allow a certain abdication of responsibility, and to my ancient ears come the whisper of Larry Norman's 'don't blame me, I am only visiting this planet'. Ancient might seem too strong a word, but I spent all my childhood and early adult hood in the last century

different countries

I coined the phrase different countries, with a land border earlier today. I think that is closer to the reality.... and I have to thank Tad Ted for this. (This is he)


No comments:

Post a Comment