Sunday 27 November 2016

Advent Liturgy: I struggled between Law and Grace

I quite like the Decalogue (The Ten Commandments). It is actually neither here nor there whether I like them or not. We recite them in our Churches during Advent and Lent. These are seasons of rich penitence, and so it seems fitting. I wonder though whether we are trying to hem in who is welcome or not. This is not intentional. I accept that absolutely. There are people in our congregations, myself included, who have broken a number, and sometimes their recitation simply serves as a reminder.

Our prayers of intercession then finish with this corporate prayer



Lord Jesus Christ,
you draw and welcome us,
emptied of pride and hungry for your grace,
to this your kingdom’s feast.
Nowhere can we find the food
for which our souls cry out,
but here, Lord, at your table.
Invigorate and nourish us, good Lord,
that in and through this bread and wine
your love may meet us
and your life complete us
in the power and glory of your kingdom.
Amen.

How I long for this to be true - and I wonder whether we give people the freedom to be in order to worship and live.

These are just my reflections as a priest worshipping on the First Sunday of Advent 

No comments:

Post a Comment