Wednesday 12 April 2017

Maundy Thursday: The Man from Kerioth



Judas







Judas is a challenging and controversial figure. Historically, because little is known of the man of Kerioth; and theologically, because what does it mean for ‘satan to enter’ someone, which is how John and Luke seem to explain away the betrayal.

On a human level, Judas challenges and confronts. How many of us are willing to state that we have never let someone else down; even if we have not betrayed someone?

Perhaps, there is a bigger reason why Judas seems to speak to us. One of the theories postulated for his betrayal is that he had become disappointed and disillusion with Jesus.

Have you ever been disappointed with Jesus? It takes a very brave person to admit that this is the case. But I wonder whether each of us at some point has been disappointed. Disappointment may have set in because fervent prayers have not been answered, for example.

Biblical Text – Matthew 26

47 While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, arrived; with him was a large crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48 Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, ‘The one I will kiss is the man; arrest him.’ 49 At once he came up to Jesus and said, ‘Greetings, Rabbi!’ and kissed him. 50 Jesus said to him, ‘Friend, do what you are here to do.’ Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and arrested him.

Questions

1.    In some Orthodox traditions, Judas is a saint; what is your reaction to that?
2.    Betrayal runs deep. Can it be forgiven?


Reflection for Maundy Thursday

He had that look. I hoped
He touched the unlovely. I was moved
He declared blessing for the poor. I yearned
He refused to condemn. I was frustrated
He was passionate. I wanted more
He demanded everything. I could not give it
He wanted to turn the world upside down. I wanted that
He was a zealot for the kingdom. I realised I was not
So, why did I do it?
Echoing question that refuses to go away
I hoped
I was moved, even frustrated
I wanted more and he seemed not to be able to give it
Our kingdoms collided
And there was room only for one upon the throne

No comments:

Post a Comment