Sunday 12 March 2017

reflections not shadows



I have had a rather splendid weekend. I have been at my in-laws Golden Wedding celebrations. I enjoyed it, which for me says a lot given that I am rather cudmugeonly.

I was struck by how old I have become, largely by looking at how much older people looked. Surprisingly, people who were in the 20s and 30s at the Silver Wedding celebrations, which was incidentally the first time I met my future in-laws are in their 40s and 50s. My wife and I will celebrate our Silver Wedding next year.

In one of the rooms there was a laptop with a rolling loop of photographs of their fifty glorious years.

I saw myself at least thrice

At my wedding

At my doctoral graduation

At my ordination as a priest

In each I looked younger. But each was a reflection of me, of part of me.

Lent is a good time to look at our reflections, and be glad that we do not need to live in the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment