Tuesday 21 February 2017

there was a morning, there was an evening: three years

Where did that go? Three years (22 February) as Vicar of Bro Cybi.



There is much I miss about Bartley Green and Birmingham. People mostly. Cultural Diversity.

There is much I love about Bro Cybi and Ynys Mon. People mostly. Getting to grips with a language and landscape with which I am unfamiliar.

There are similarities obviously. People mostly. Differences too. People are people wherever you go. That will always be true. Ministry is similar. It is really, although the Church in Wales is different to the Church of England. One is disestablished, and appears to like to hold closely to the vestiges of establishment. The other is established and large parts of it are uncomfortable with the fact.

I love the fact that Wales is held together by relationships. That the fact that someone went to school with someone else's grandparents can enable things to get done - or prevent something from being done. Then again, I find myself asking where does where someone comes from or not have a bearing on whether a job can be done or not.

I like the fact that I am living on the edge, although an outer estate in Birmingham is also on the edge. I enjoy the fact that I am a foreigner in an alien land. Being English is sometimes a little problematic, and rightly so. It does, I think, mean I have to minister, live and breath differently. I am a guest, even I think liturgically, which means that I would not presume to preside, except in an understated way.

Some of the things I do are the same: ministry at life events, schools. I have swapped St Michael's School for Ysgol Cybi. I love the synod arrangements of the Diocese, which make for more meaningful relationships that a deanery, although I miss the wise leadership of the Area Dean of Edgbaston at times :-). I love Messy Church and the messiness of Church.

I love being forced to think outside of the box. The Church in Wales is one generation away from extinction. The Church of England perhaps one and a half with a few shekels more of money. It means that we need to reach out and engage in mission.

Here I am an Evangelist - and I am slowly beginning to work out what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment